Saturday, September 12, 2020

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

 

Half of a Yellow SunHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but 2020 has been the year of the book for me. Having faced a pandemic that limits my leisure choices, I've read more books than ever and Half of a Yellow Sun is far and above the best book I've read all year! Adiche's writing voice is intriguing, soft, and powerful. She guides the reader along through the heart wrenching and sometimes heart melting war ravaged drama of the much loved, sometimes flawed, and very beautiful fictional characters engaged in the real history of the Biafran war for independence from Nigeria.

I like how Adiche divides the story into four parts, beginning in the early sixties, then the late, then early and late again. It was a great method for delivering certain parts of the story at just the right moment to keep me wondering what was going to happen next.




View all my reviews

No comments: