Monday, June 14, 2021

A Spark of Light

A Spark of LightA Spark of Light by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I gave this book more room for error than I would most books which failed to engage my attention, simply because I've read a number of books by Picoult and have enjoyed her dramatic flair, literary creativity, and unique points of view on difficult subjects.

A Spark of Light, though, misses the mark on many points. The most disrupting element of the book was its reverse chronology which kept pulling me out of the story and pushing me up against the wall pulling my hair out trying to remember what's going on with whom. The long list of characters were all interesting and each and every one of them, in true Picoult style, had a convincing and captivating story on their own - weaving well together with each other - BUT, it required far too much work on my part with the reverse chronology, the sheer numbers of active characters, the myriad motivating factors, to be able to care - what with the task of organizing it all totally consuming me.

View all my reviews

No comments: