Friday, July 16, 2021

Leaving Time

Leaving TimeLeaving Time by Jodi Picoult
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The elephants! Sometimes while reading LEAVING TIME, I felt as if I were right alongside Alice in the Jeep observing the wild elephants with her. Later, at the elephant sanctuary, reading about the feeding, grooming, and other care giving activities carried out by the handlers gave me an appreciation for elephants far beyond what I began with. Reading of Alice's observations in the field, of how elephants experienced grief in a very human and long-suffering manor, how they cared for their young as if their lives depended on it, and how they looked out for each other be it a predatory threat or an injury, all cemented me to the book with each turn of the page.

Jenna, Alice's 13 year old daughter, is searching for a mother she hasn't seen in 10 years. With the passion of a baby elephant separated from its mother, Jenna is determined to find answers. Her father is in an asylum and of no help, her grandmother is no help, so she turns to a psychic and an investigator. The unlikely trio each has an interesting story to add to the mix of LEAVING TIME.

The ending! Perfect.

View all my reviews

No comments: